I’ve continued working towards having everything ready for my first wargames tournament in over 6 years, and I’m almost there! A pic-heavy update coming up!
I’m quite a stickler for being WYSIWYG – partly because I like to know what’s on the table (I’m not a massive fan of proxies), but also to remember what the hell my models are carrying!
To this end, I spent a little time working on adding Searchlights to my Stormravens. While I was was adding them, I thought about making the turrets a little more interesting – one thing I noticed about them is that they lack is any form of targetting system, so I added one to the side, which also helped balance out the addition of the Searchlight on the other side. Finally, I placed an embossed winged skull on the front of the turret to break up the plain surface. I’m pretty pleased with the finished turret, as it now looks a little more functional and interesting:
As you can see in the second image, I’ve added a transfer to the back of the turret, just for fun really!
While I’m on the subject of Searchlights, I needed to add them to my two Razorbacks which are in the list. The Razorbacks themselves are actually modified Rhinos – rather than spend a fortune adding two new Razorbacks to my collection, I decided to use the two Rhinos I currently own. I first found a pair of turret plates I had spare, added a pair of magnets to the front and added two pins at the back, which act as locators to keep the plate from moving and also help it line up with the hull properly:
To allow the magnets to adhere to the hull, I added a metal plate to the inside:
Finally, I chopped up another metal plate and added a piece inside a stowage box, which was then glued to the top of the hull. I then added a magnet to the bottom of each Searchlight:
And finally, here’s a couple of images of the new Razorback – mine are up-gunned slightly with the extra Storm Bolter (which I can’t remove):
Going back to my Stormravens, I added some decals and some weathering. I’ve kept the weathering fairly light for now – it’s just watered down black brushed lightly across from front to back:
While I was cutting the metal plates to go inside the stowage boxes, I also cut one to size to add to the top of my Assault Terminator – the lengths of paperclips weren’t really doing their job properly and so I decided to add the metal plate for some extra grip for the magnets:
Finally for this post, I thought I’d show off the pieces I made to represent mysterious objectives. Rather than having a dice just placed next to an objective marker (which is likely to end up being picked up and rolled at some point by mistake), I created 6 markers which can hold a large dice, which will also help determine what the mysterious objective is:
Mission 4 in the 40k rulebook (The Scouring) requires random values to be assigned to each of the 6 objectives. Rather than go with the ‘scraps of paper’ route, I made something a little more ’40k’ – I used some spare Gun Drone tops and glued them to a 25mm base. Then rather than paint numbers underneath I added Chapter symbols which would represent each point value. I also made a handy little key so that my opponent and I could easily remember how many points each one was worth:
This looks suitably ’40k’ and allowed me to use up a few spare bits! Also, it looks better than a scrap of paper! (and yes, the Ultramarine symbol is worth 4 points! Remember, everyone wants to be an Ultramarine…)
And finally this week, here’s the objective which I use for the main objective in Mission 6; The Relic:
I reasoned that an atomic fuel cell was suitable for various armies to fight over – it could be used to power a starship, fashioned into a nuclear device or used for some other nefarious deed by Tau, Eldar, Ork, Tyranid or Human alike!