Regular readers will know that at the end of last year that I’ve decided to downsize my 40k collection. After a bit of thought I decided that it was a ‘last in, first out’ policy, and despite the fun I had with my Dark Eldar back during 5th Edition 40k, I figure they’re the ones I will miss the least (although I am sad to see them go – so much so that I’m keeping a few of them as allies for my Eldar). Given that I’ve got a wedding to pay for in November, I need to raise the funds!
I’m being saved a fair bit of hassle in that a friend of mine was keen to pick them up from me for a price, provided I paint them up – a lot less hassle and more enjoyable than putting them on eBay!
My friend is buying a sizeable chunk of them, consisting of a metal Succubus, metal Urien Rakarth, 5 Finecast Wracks, 10 Wyches, 10 Warriors, 2 Raiders, 1 Ravager and 1 Razorwing.
The Razorwing, Wracks and Urien Rakarth were already painted, and the Raiders/Ravagers are base-coated, so it only leaves the infantry completely unpainted. I figured I’d start with them as they need the most work.
I was able to really crack on with the Wyches today, and with a bit of a production line I managed to get them well on the way to being complete.The armour on my Dark Eldar are painted the same way as my Aleph weapons – P3 Paints Coal Black, a first highlight of Kabalite Green and then an extreme highlight of Sybarite Green:
I’m a little unhappy with them, and they need a bit of tidying up before I’m completely satisfied with them.
I’ve decided that for the Warriors, I’ll take the ‘Infinity approach’ and do the unit one model at a time – there’s less chance of me getting fed up with having to paint the same section over and over again on each model of the unit – at least this way I can get each model done to a standard I’m happy with before moving onto the next one, meaning the paint jobs won’t suffer. I decided that I’d paint up the first Warrior while I was waiting for the bases on the Wyches to dry:
I also finished off the Succubus. This particular model has got different set of arms to the stock model – I was never a big fan of the glaive and whip combination, so I swapped her arms for some plastic ones:
As you can see from the next few images, I’ve already got the vehicles basecoated, so all they need is some detailing and highlighting:
When I made my Dark Eldar back in the day, I wanted it to be clear to my opponents (and me, given my memory is terrible!) exactly what was being transported in which vehicle. For that reason, I made sure that the passengers were either Wyches or Warriors, as you can see below:
Finally for this post, here are a couple of shots of my Razorwing – I wanted to get some light tent images of it before it wings its way (haha!) to my friend. I’m particularly pleased with the freehand detailing and the orange canopy. The orange tint was done with some Tamiya clear, which is especially designed for clear resin parts. I wish I’d known about it when I did my green canopies on my Eldar vehicles!