A chance accident with the models in this post led me to end up doing a lot more work on them than I had anticipated. What they actually needed was some highlighting and shading on the red sections, but what I ended up doing in addition to that was magnetising all of their flying stands after I dropped one of them while getting them ready to paint! Initially, I’d made it so the stands could just plug into the underside of the models so that I could remove them for transport, but dropping one proved why this isn’t a great idea as the peg broke off inside the hole! After a bit of thought, I remembered I had some left over magnets from a previous project, and so set about making good use of those, ending up with what you can see below:
What’s good is that I’ve got all the polarities of the magnets equal, so each bike will magnetise to any flying stand, so I don’t need to pair them up!
One of my Autarchs was a bit more problematic however, as he’s quite weighty, and so he needed an extra pair of larger magnets:
I still need to paint over the greenstuff on the bottom of the jetbikes at some stage, although it’s not immediately noticeable at first.
Most of you will have already seen this guy with all his free-handy-goodness, but I’ll show him again now he’s had a bit of extra work done:
And finally, after over 6 years of them sitting around not doing a lot and languishing with a purely red basecoat, here is my unit of Windrider Jetbikes complete:
You may notice that the riders aren’t the stock models out of the box, but rather some conversions I did using some Guardian torsos and helmets – I had to clip the arms apart and adjust their position slightly so that they would meet up with the sockets on the torso, and the ball joint on the bottom of the torso itself had to be clipped flat, but that’s really all the work they needed to bring the models a little more up to date and not look weird next to regular Guardians.
The red is Army Painter red spray, which I’ve shaded on the guardians with a wash of Seraphim Sepia. I used an old pot of Flesh Wash to shade the canopy and ‘wings’ of the bike itself as I find I get better control and a more defined line with it over the newer washes. The red is highlighted with Blazing Orange and a second stage highlight of Fire Dragon Bright. The soulstones and gems are painted with Kabalite Green with highlights of Sybarite Green and a shade of P3 Coal Black. All of the canopies are done by hand, as I really hate using transfers (and these days, you don’t get the big Cosmic Serpent transfers in the jetbike box as far as I’m aware). I pencil in the lines first with a propelling pencil, then fill in the black areas with Abaddon Black. The white areas get a coat of Astronomican Grey followed by a couple of thin coats of Ceramite White over top.
I do have another Autarch on jetbike which I don’t often show off, as he’s a re-paint and re-work of a conversion I picked up at a bring and buy sale many, many years ago. He came as part of a job lot of Saim Hann jetbikes, and while I’ve sold the rest of them off, I kept him as I liked the conversion the person had done – the only thing I changed was the head and sword arm – the original head was a bald-headed elf, while the sword was from the Shining Spears Exarch, but I’m not a fan of that blade, so I swapped the head for a Dire Avenger Exarch helmet, and the sword with a Dire Avenger Diresword. The fur cloak is really well sculpted though, so kudos to whoever it was who converted him initially. I often run this guy as an Autarch with Mantle of the Laughing God (the fur cloak serves as the Mantle) and the Firesabre (hence the golden blade). He’s also got a Fusion Gun mounted underneath like my other Autarch on Jetbike. You might have noticed that he’s got some rather large Shuriken Catapults on his bike – this is due to my idiocy. When I originally re-converted him, I also gave his bike a Shuriken Cannon, as I mistakenly thought Autarchs on Jetbike could that that upgrade – since they can’t I had to re-fit him, but I’d already clipped away his catapults, and the only option I had was to use a spare set from a Wave Serpent kit! It looks a little clunky but it does the job!
So, the first step has been taken towards a fully painted Eldar force in 2014!