Despite it being Mother’s Day this weekend, I still found a bit of time to paint up some models! First off was the continuation of my Aleph, who I want to have all done by the time Easter’s over (shouldn’t be too tough, as I have the week off between Salute and Easter weekend!).
I figured I’d start with the more ‘functional’ models (ie: those which I don’t really want to paint up but kind of have to!) – a second Yudbot and 2 more Netrods:
The purple is my usual Naggaroth Night/Xereus Purple/Genestealer Purple, with a Snot Green/Scorpion green highlight on the eye lenses. Metallics are Leadbelcher washed with Asurman Blue ink.
Here’s a pic of him with his colleague (who’s already been varnished):
Next was the final two Netrods to complete the trio:
I painted the small lights on the upright parts of the beacons in different colours to help differentiate them – not that there’s any in-game need to do that, but I figured it’d look more interesting.
The Netrods give me a real boost, providing a cheap order (at 4 points), as well as enabling my Posthumans to be a little more gung-ho and not worry so much about losing their single order – Posthumans are selected in groups of 2-3, but only provide 1 order and a single consciousness which they must share between their multiple bodies (or Proxies as they’re called in the background material). If a Posthuman Proxy is killed while its consciousness is inhabiting that particular body, the consciousness is stuck within it. However, the presence of a Netrod allows the consciousness to escape the dead body and inhabit one of the other Proxies on the table. Extremely useful for 4 points!
Talking of Posthumans, here’s one of my favourite Posthuman models, the Mark 2 Sniper:
I love the concept behind the Posthumans, and using them in game is quite fun (at least in YAMS missions – I’ve yet to try them in ITS, but I think the loss of an order for multiple models could be crippling in the strict 3-turn format of ITS). I’m quite glad I’ve got this one done (although I may tidy up the wall a bit, as the wash I’ve given it has gone a bit funny).
Finally, I painted up a model which I know I said I wasn’t going to paint until later this year, but I had an epiphany late last week about the colour scheme I want to use and was just dying to try it out, so I spent a couple of hours on it, and I’m extremely happy with it (so much so I’m going to have to restrain myself from buying a bucketload of Tohaa at Salute in 2 weeks time).
I was reading a thread on the official forums which mentioned making a Mass Effect style force of various alien races, akin to the videogame. The colours of one of the alien characters, Garrus Vakarian struck me as a great fit for the Tohaa (I wanted to avoid the studio scheme, as nice as it is, as the colour of the armour blends with the actual skin colours of the Tohaa themselves). I gave it a shot and I’m extremely happy with the results:
The model was given a coat of Abaddon Black, while the armour plates were painted Mordian Blue. These were then washed with Asurman blue before being given another coat of Mordian Blue (leaving the wash in the recesses), then Ultramarine Blue on most edges, with a final highlight of Nauseating Blue (a really old colour which I still have hanging around!) on the extreme edges. The black areas were highlighted with a 50/50 Charadon Granite and Abaddon Black and a second highlight of pure Charadon Granite. The weapons were base-coated in Astronomican Grey before getting 3 coats of Thraka Green ink on them (allowing it to dry between each coat). The flesh areas are Dheneb Stone washed with Agrax Earthshade. The ‘hair’ is left unhighlighted, while the face was given a highlight of pure Dheneb Stone. The orange in the ‘lights’ on her hips is a nice spot colour, and should hopefully translate on to the Symbiont Armour of the other models when I get them (which will match the studio’s colours for Symbiont Armour, but also set off the blue nicely, being complementary colours).
Astute viewers will notice her base isn’t my usual hexagon Infinity base – that’s for a couple of reasons:
1) Many Tohaa models come with rocks moulded on their bases, which look out of place on the hexagons
2) I wanted a change from making these bases, which can be a bit of a pain to do (although once I’ve run out of the plasticard material I use, I’m switching to Antenociti’s Workshop bases, which are an almost perfect match and also have some variety!)
The sand is painted black, then drybrushed with Mournfang Brown and a second highlight of Snakebite Leather.
So, the ‘headache’ I was having over their colour scheme has now been solved! I can’t wait to get more!