The last couple of weeks have been fairly busy for me, so I’ve not had as much hobby time as I’d have liked, but that should change in the next few weeks, with any luck!
What I did manage to get done though was pretty satisfying. As I write this there are exactly 4 weeks until the Summer Challenge, and I’ve now completed the last of my Aleph models for the list. As an added bonus, this model was the final Aleph model I wanted to get painted before I could start on my Marut, which I’ve been saving as a ‘reward’ for finishing the rest of the Aleph models in my collection. Anyway, enough waffle, here’s my Chandra Spec Ops:
I had to go with black armour plates on her arm, as making them purple meant that they blended in a little too much with her arms, and went with the grey midriff to break up the black areas.
With this model out of the way, I’m finally free to start on my Marut, and start I have! I’ve got all the basecoats done, so now it’s onto the highlights, which I envision taking quite a while on a model this size, so I may have to use Mayacast’s tips for making a wet-pallet. Still, here she is with her base colours done:
Once I’ve finished the TAG, I’ll be finally moving back to my PanO, who haven’t had nearly as much attention in recent months as I’d liked. I already gave a quick overview of the new Military Orders models I’d acquired, but I figured I’d give a little more detail now that they’re almost ready (I still need to pester Corvus Belli for some extra helmet aerials – the strange person who built these originally didn’t want to use them, it would seem). If Corvus Belli can’t supply me with any then it’s down to me to cast some up myself using some instant mold material and green stuff. Not my preferred method but I’m sure it’s something I can manage if I have to!
So, to begin with, the Knight Hospitalier who I gave a Multi Rifle to:
On closer inspection, it would appear he needs a bath in Fairy Power Spray to strip that paint back – the detail is looking pretty filled in, and I’d hate to do this model an injustice.
Next up is the Knight of Montesa with Spitfire, a conversion I shamelessly borrowed from GK Workbench – in fact, this man was the inspiration for me to go with red as a colour scheme for my PanO in the first place! Like him, I clipped away the Combi Rifle and added a Spitfire I had spare.
While we’re on the subject of Spitfires, I used a spare set of Hexa arms and a duplicate Order Sergeant model to give one a Spitfire – this way I have one with Spitfire and MSV and a second with just a Spitfire:
I’ll use his spare combi rifle arm on a Hexa when I eventually get the Neoterran starter and make a Hexa Hacker out of it!
Next up are a pair of Magister Knights – one with just a Panzerfaust, the other with a Panzerfaust and Missile Launcher (talk about overkill!). Nothing special with these guys, other than the lack of helmet aerials and the lovely Antenociti’s Workshop Hex bases:
Finally for the PanO reinforcements is an Aquila Guard with HMG, to replace the converted one I made last year. As fun as he was, he blended in too much compared to this imposing chap who’s so bad-ass he can steady an HMG with one hand (it really exemplifies the abilities of the power armour he’s wearing, being able to hold a heavy weapon in one hand and fire it with extremely high ballistic skill!). He’s currently missing his helmet aerials as they’ll serve as the master for the mould I may have to make. As soon as I know from Corvus Belli whether they can send me enough aerials or not :
Finally, after all that unpainted metal, here’s some colour! I picked up some of the Terrakami Games low-cost container units – two sets of short ones and two sets of long ones, giving me 6 overall. I’ve photographed a set of each here as they’re identical in all ways. I sprayed them with the remnants of a can of Army Painter red undercoat spray – they should add some much-needed colour variety to my terrain, which for the most part is just grey currently. Here they are with the Chandra for scale:
They still need some weathering and details/highlights applied, but they’ll suffice for now.
Next up in this extremely long post, I’d like to show you the final additions to my planters – after discussion with Ian (aka: The Wargaming Trader), he pointed me in the direction of eBay for some scale model cherry blossoms which he’d used before on his own terrain. £5 got me 25 of them, more than enough to cover every planter and still have some spare!
Finally, for now, is my Gao Rael with Spitfire – I’ll be slowly building up a Tohaa force between now and later this year – it started with Aelis Keesan, and will continue with this guy. The green stuff rock was made because I had some spare while filling a gap and didn’t want it to go to waste. I want to also add some cork rocks to the bases, which I’ll pick up in time. I may also re-base Aelis so that she matches a little better – her base look a little bland as it stands currently.