It’s kind of apt that almost 2 years ago to the day I wrote my first article on this blog, and today marks my 100th post! That first post was short and sweet and had some truly awful photography courtesy of my phone camera. It’s also telling that I took over a year to actually finish the commission job I detailed in that first post! Luckily my friend was in no rush to have them back!
As I detailed in my last post, I’ve recently acquired a large bunch of Tohaa models, and I’m aiming to get enough of them painted ready for a tournament at the end of the month. A fortunately timed bout of being unable to sleep this morning meant that I was able to get up and crack on with some stuff today which I’d started Friday evening (I know what you’re thinking; what a rock and roll Friday night!).
First on my list were the Chaksa Auxiliars – I started these guys on Friday, working on the skin tones, which I wanted to be a little darker than the studio scheme. I blended the skin tones up from Charadon Granite to Snakebite Leather, with an extra highlight stage of Bleached Bone mixed with Snakebite Leather. The blue armour follows the same formula as my other Tohaa.
Unfortunately while building them I gave up on the ammo feeds, as bending them into shape was causing far too many headaches (and one of the feeds eventually snapped, so I decided to leave them off). I’m pretty pleased with them, and I think the darker skin tone works better when coupled with my colour scheme, as I think the studio skin colour would have jarred a little.
I’ve left the Guided Heavy Rocket Launcher guy unfinished – I painted his skin at the same time as the other three so that their colours would be consistent, but I’ll wait until later in this post to show him as he’s still work-in-progress.
I painted a couple of small parts of the Chaksa armour in orange to add a small spot colour to the model, which was starting to look a little dark. To help tie the force together more, I revisited Aelis Keesan (yes, sorry, she’s making yet another appearance) and my Gao Rael to add a little more orange to their colours. Luckily, on closer inspection, I noticed that almost all of the Tohaa have some kind of diamond shape in the centre of their chest, similar to Eldar with their Spirit Stones, so I figured it would make sense to have something similar on the Tohaa – I guess it could be some kind of light or power source of their armour (akin to Iron Man’s Arc Reactor in his chest).
Eagle-eyed readers may notice that the Gao Rael’s faceplate has changed slightly too – this was after I’d looked over and begun painting some black areas on my other Tohaa models – the helmets appear to have a wraparound collar/mouthpiece, so I figured these should all be consistent.
Speaking of other Tohaa, here are my Makaul, which are halfway done – they just need highlights doing before I complete them:
These models have grown on me a fair bit since seeing them in the flesh. When I first saw the images of them, I wasn’t sold on them, although seeing them up close and from all angles, they’ve definitely gone up in my estimations! One thing I made sure to change was their shoulders – from the way they’re depicted in their artwork and the studio colour scheme, those banded things which stick up above their shoulders is actually part of the Tohaa itself, rather than an armour plate – I’ve changed this on mine, painting them to look like overlaid armour plates, both to give the Makaul the appearance of wearing more armour, but also because it looked weird when they were painted the same as the skin!
Next up are a couple of pics of the rest of the Tohaa that I’ve acquired:
As you can see, the Symbiont Armour and skin tones are done on all of them. The Symbiont armour was painted first with Blazing Orange, then given a wash of Agrax Earthshade, before being given two drybrushes – first with Blazing Orange, then again with Fire Dragon Bright. It’s even given a pleasant glowing effect on the ones I’ve not painted the rest of the armour – not really an effect I was looking to achieve, but useful to know if I ever want to try something like that.
With Neema Satar, I decided that her head could do with angling to the side slightly. Luckily it’s a seperate piece, so it wasn’t difficult to pop it off and re-glue it at a slight angle – it makes the model a little less ‘flat’ looking, and helps lessen the impact of her rather large head! Unfortunately it appears that the right side of her face was slightly mis-cast, and the detail’s a bit lacking on this side, so I’ll have to make sure I paint on a little more detail.
Lastly for post number 100, the Military Order models I’ve been sitting on for the past few months finally got some of their aerials!
I’m still waiting on acquiring another 6 or so aerials so that I can complete all the Order Sergeants and the Teutonic Knight with Spitfire that are still missing theirs, and once I get those I can also get to building the rest of the Neoterra starter that I’ve got – I have a spare Combi Rifle for the Hexa in there to make a Hexa Hacker, although the rest will be built fairly standard. I may try and do something different with the Aquila Guard, too, although I need a spare head for him as his helmet aerials have been donated to the knights!
I was able to build one Bolt, however, as I had a pair of Antenociti’s Workshop Hex bases left over, so he got one along with my new O-12 Commissioner, who I’m sure will both come in handy in my upcoming Paradiso missions (I plan to proxy the Bolt as a Kaplan Engineer for those scenarios that require it, since their stats are fairly similar).
Well, that’s this post all wrapped up! Here’s to a hundred more! There’ll likely be a flurry of posts over the next week or so as I’ve got a little 4-man ITS event planned next weekend here at my flat with three friends, and then at the end of the month there’s the tournament, which I’m hoping to have the Tohaa ready for!