Normal Infinity-based service has resumed this week after a little break thanks to next-gen Grand Theft Auto 5. I’m still working on the commission set of Icestorm for a friend, and once this is done I have a few spare Dark Eldar to paint up and sell off.
I took the decision to get rid of all of my Eldar and remaining Dark Eldar a week or two ago – I reasoned that with me not having played 40k in well over 9 months, there was no point having them taking up space and gathering dust – far better for me to sell them on and use the funds to pay for other things that will actually get used. I’ll be sad to see them go, although I’m keeping my Space Marines for those times where I fancy a bit of grimdark.
Anyway, I digress – Icestorm stuff. As usual, as these are commission jobs on my lower rate, they don’t have as many highlights etc that my regular models would. The first model I finished off was the final Alguacile:
The dark skin was a nice change to paint up – it’s Scorched Brown followed by a highlight of Mournfang Brown and a few fine highlights of Snakebite Leather. I may try and diversify many more of my human models with this colour skin in future, along with a more Asian skin-tone in places.
Next, I worked on the Nisse:
Like the Fusiliers I did before, his armour is painted Bavarian Blue, followed by a wash of Asurmen Blue before a highlight stage of Bavarian Blue again. Nice and simple! The coat was painted in Celestra Grey before being given a slightly thinned wash of Nuln Oil.
The Mobile Brigada was next on the table – he was relatively quick to paint up. The Nomads were all painted in Adeptus Battlegrey as an undercoat, then washed completely with Nuln Oil. This laid the foundations for their colour scheme, leaving me to just pick out details etc. For the Brigada’s armour, I went full purple, since he looked a little unfinished when I tried to leave him mostly grey like the Alguaciles:
His armour was painted in Naggaroth Night, then Xereus Purple, then highlighted with Genestealer Purple on the edges (haven’t I heard that recipe before?). The eyes and chest cavity were painted with some old Bilious Green, which is a really bright, almost fluorescent green, and helped make it look like it was glowing.
Here’s a couple of group shots showing the miniatures completed so far:
Next on the bench are the ORC trooper and Corporate Security Unit:
As you can see, I’ve already made a start on them. For the CSU, I painted her skin with Rakarth Flesh, then washed it all with a light coating of Reikland Fleshshade. Once this was dry, I decided to try and paint her legs with the impression she’s wearing tights, so a couple of light washes of Nuln Oil were applied (letting each coat dry before adding the next, of course). It certainly seems to have done the trick, and depending on how I feel when the rest of the model has colour on it, I may go a shade or two darker again, just to make it obvious they’re supposed to look like tights (or stockings, for overseas readers!).