I managed to make a good dent in the pile of shame this weekend, finishing off those blasted Dreadball robots (painting the same model over and over again is such a chore – I think it’s one of the main reasons my 40k armies seldom got completely painted!), I finished off my Nikoul, painted up the symbiont armour on a few other Tohaa and made a start on my Bushido warband.
First off, the Robots – nothing too flashy here, just Cote D’arms Bavarian Blue washed with Asurmen blue and then some line highlights with Bavarian Blue again. Grey parts were Celestra Grey washed with Nuln Oil, and then line highlights of Celestra Grey. I didn’t want to spend too much time on these guys since they’re just boardgame pieces. It’s possible I’m not giving them enough respect, but they’ll do the trick when placed on a Dreadball pitch, I’m sure:
Next up, I made a start on my Prefecture of Ryu models from Bushido. First up, I painted up Jin, who is an Ashigaru, as a tester:
I wanted something which was fairly vibrant, as the official Prefecture of Ryu colours are a little dark for my tastes – thanks to one of my friends and fellow blogger Jez, the colour scheme was inspired by the red armour supposedly worn by Sanada Yukimura – I started with a black undercoat, blending up to Adeptus Battlegrey for the highlights. Because of the colour of her hair is also black, I decided to highlight it with Scorched Brown to differentiate the colour between the two.
The armour was painted Khorne Red, washed with Agrax Earthshade then highlighted up with Khorne Red, Mephiston Red and Evil Sunz Scarlet. I wanted to avoid going too far orange with them, as I wanted a ‘sweeter’ looking red as opposed to a fiery one. I may go back and add an additional highlight stage of Evil Sunz Scarlet and white to add a little more definition.
Her skin was painted first with Snakebite Leather, then a mixture of Snakebite Leather/Elf Flesh, then final highlights of Elf Flesh and Bleached bone, as I wanted to go for a more oriental look to the skin. It’s possible I’ve gone a little too pale with her, so I may experiment adding a thin glaze of Agrax Earthshade and see how that looks.
I painted the wooden shaft with Scorched Brown, washed it with Agrax Earthshade (I love that ink!), then layered Scorched Brown, Mournfang Brown and then Snakebite Leather.
Next up in the Bushido line-up is the Tenchi who was kindly bought for me as a Christmas present from one of my friends:
As you can see, she’s got the basecoat of Snakebite Leather on her skin, and most colours have been blocked in ready for shading/highlighting. I hope to have her finished before I go on Honeymoon this Friday.
Finally for today’s post, here’s more familiar stuff in the form of my Tohaa!
I had a couple of games last week as part of our club’s Slow Grow event that’s been taking place throughout January, and I’m pleased to say I’ve been on a bit of an uncharacteristic winning streak with them, winning 3 out of 3 games.
I decided I’d paint up the Nikoul, since he’s been in a fair few games now without any proper colours on him:
Nothing too out of the ordinary here really – just the usual recipes. I think, looking at my Tohaa as a whole compared with the more recent Aleph characters I’ve done, I may go back and add some more blended highlights to them to bring these guys up to shape.
This guy is one of my favourite models though – I particularly like how low his profile is behind the rocks:
While I worked on this guy, I also decided to paint the Symbiont Armour on the other units who have it, just to save a bit of time in the long run:
I suspect one of these guys will get done next, since they’ve been started, but I’ve not decided yet.
That’s all from me today, I hope to get at least another post up this week before we jet off to Italy!