I’ve been taking a bit of a break from the painting table in the past two weeks – despite not actually playing in Pigfinity I was all hobbied out and needed a little bit of a break. I did play a little X-Wing in the interrim, but only for a bit of fun against a friend of mine who’s not really a wargamer (just a big Star Wars fan).
However, with the release of the USAriadna Army Pack I jumped right back in to the hobby this week – I started by building the Starter Box guys – nothing really to report on these guys other than the usual high standard of CB casting and fitting. I did modify the female Grunt slightly though, by lowering her rifle arm, as I’m not a huge fan of rifles in the air – the Foxtrot model didn’t quite look natural with his rifle lowered:
Following these guys, I tackled the Maverick – the dismounted version of her was relatively easy to build (and I expect she’ll likely be used more as a second Foxtrot since those guys look so useful on paper), although the bike version was a bit tougher to build – while it was mostly fairly intuitive, I did have to take my time piecing her together, as she’s made up of 9 separate pieces – not a huge number by any stretch, but when it’s metal and where a lot of parts need to marry up or cross over each other, it can cause a bit of a headache if you’re not prepared for it – I’m pleased to say that she went together without any issues though:
Finally in the box is the imposing Devil Dog and his K-9 Antipode – two lovely models which, in my opinion, are marred slightly by their odd poses – the Antipode looks like he’s about to fall over forwards, while the stock pose for the Devil Dog is admiring his reflection in his big knife – at least I was able to convert him if not his Antipode chum.
I started by swapping the direction of his knife, so that he’s holding it blade-down, more akin to his artwork. I then had to trim away the locator peg for his knife-hand so that I could change the angle slightly, as well as adjust the locator peg on his upper-arm/shoulder joint so that the hand was held slightly lower. As I mentioned earlier in the post, I’m not a fan of guns pointing in the air, even while at rest, so again, I lowered the pistol arm – no cutting required this time, just a change of angle for the arm. I then had to greenstuff over the gaps that were left. Simple yet, in my opinion, a much better pose for him:
Finally for today’s post, a work in progress shot of my second Kaeltar – when he’s done I’ll only have 4 Tohaa models left to paint, which means I can shift over to the Aleph and PanO stuff that’s been hidden in cases for the better part of the year!
As with the previous Kaeltar, I’m using three different highlight colours for the different black areas – P3 Coal Black/Kabalite Green for the jacket, Charadon Granite for the bodysuit, and a deep grey mix for armour plates, just to help break him up a little and stop him looking like a big dark blob with a white helmet!
I’ve got two team Infinity events coming up this year, so a lot of my gaming time between now and then will be devoted to some practice – I sometimes think I’m likely to be the weak-link in our teams – for the 4-man event in Guildford I’m part of Team Pigmar with Craig, Adam and Darren, while for the 3-man event I’m teamed with Adam and Darren as part of Team Pigmar A (or B, we haven’t decided) – the other Team Pigmar will be made up of Craig, Alessandro and Jez. I’m quite looking forward to the different dynamic that these team events will bring – while normally at tournaments we’re quite supportive of each other’s results, this time our results will go into a pool and help raise the team up higher in the ranks – I only hope I can pull my weight!