Apologies for being so quiet of late – Real Life(tm) has unfortunately been getting in the way quite a bit of late! I’ve been fairly busy with commission work (which I’ve neglected to photograph, oops!) and I’m in the midst of a house-move, which not only will take me closer to my new office, but also into the same town as regular opponent and fellow (infrequent) blogger Darren. This is going to be a bit of a long post due to how much has gone on, so brace yourselves!
My pile of shame has grown further in recent weeks, with lots of bits picked up at Warfare (including a bunch of cheap, bargain resin from Antenociti’s Workshop) and from eBay. I’ve been concentrating on getting things built and undercoated for the most part. I prefer to work on a few models at a time while doing things like undercoating and base coating, but once I get into the nitty gritty of detailing/highlighting etc, I prefer to take an individual approach. Unfortunately almost all of the images you’re about to see are all going to be base coated or just undercoated models for now, but I’ll work on getting some completed for my next post, I promise!
First off, I’ll show the pieces I’ve started work on – mostly Aleph pieces that I’ve had for quite a while and am only now just starting to block in the base colours on:
Speaking of Aleph, last month my friend Craig decided to expand away from his Haqqislam into Nomads, and so wanted to pick up Lupe Balboa. This meant he had a spare Thrasymedes and so I threw a few quid his way for a second Jon Snow lookalike. With the help of ChoKonnit on the forums, I also picked up a Thorakitai with Light Rocket Launcher for an arm swap so that I’ve got a WYSIWYG Thrasymedes with Light Rocket Launcher, and an extra Thorakitai model with SMG:
Fairly minimal changes on both models – some slight bending of Thrasymedes’ ankles to allow him to be stepping up the kerb, and some little tweaks to the positioning of the sword/SMG arm to make them look a little more natural on the Thorakitai. I’m pretty pleased with how they both came out though!
Also Aleph related on the workbench this month is Penthesilea. She’s had a custom-made base since I first got her, but now that bikes are supposed to be on 55mm bases, I figured it was time she got one of her own, now that my Maverick bike has one. A bargain bag of 55mm bases from Antenociti yielded a 55mm in the same style as the rest of my Aleph bases, so on she went:
Finally for the Aleph side of things, here’s a Dasyu I picked up at Warfare – I’ve always loved the look of this model from what I’ve seen of it, so I was happy to finally add it to my collection:
In addition to my second Thrasymedes, I also sprung an extra few pounds for the Naval Officer civilian figure from the same Dire Foes set:
On more familiar ground, I picked up a Kosuil Pioneer and so made a start on his Symbiont Armour, ready for drybrushing before I tackle the rest of him:
When I picked up Operation Icestorm last year, there was an unfortunate miscast in my box – the Nisse’s Sniper Rifle barrel had been miscast and had an air bubble in it, which meant it wasn’t much of a barrel at all. When I contacted Corvus Belli for a replacement, they mis-read my email and sent me a Nisse body as well as the new rifle. Since then, he’s been sat in a ziplock bag until a couple of weeks ago when I was looking through my spare parts while assembling some other models and hit upon an idea.
Using the spare Tohaa Spec Ops head with the hood, the Nisse body and rifle arm, and the spare arm from the Ariadna Spec Ops (coupled with a bit of paperclip armature) I created the guy in the image below. The sculpting isn’t perfect and his arm is a little too long, but I’m hoping a decent paint job will help disguise that a bit:
I figure he’ll work as a nice Authorised Bounty Hunter proxy, since he’s now armed with a Combi Rifle.
Of course, the spare arm for him had to come from somewhere, and this is where it came from:
Lastly for this horrendously long post is the host of Yu Jing models I’ve recently acquired – partly from eBay and partly from Warfare (oh, and also one of them I won at an event I attended this weekend just gone, which I’ll detail in a subsequent post).
First off, the other blisters I bought at Warfare, a Guilang and a Hac Tao:
Two models I really liked the look of (and I hear that Guilangs are pretty handy!).
In terms of colours, I’m thinking of an off-white for their main colour, with spots of either turquoise, orange or some other bright colour. I’ll have to experiment and see – here’s the beginnings of their off-white colour though, with the Tiger Soldier I won recently (spoiler alert!) :
Finally, the Yu Jing bits I won on eBay consisted of the Imperial Service starter, plus Yuriko Oda (so saving me the hassle of buying the Dire Foes set as well, what a result!). I’ve always preferred the look of the Chinese side of Yu Jing, especially given my heritage (my mother is Singaporean, descended from Straits Chinese, so I’ve always had a little bit of an afinity for Chinese culture/influence), and this was a perfect way to start my Yu Jing collection!
If you’ve made it this far I applaud your efforts – I promise I’ll have more to show in the way of completed paint jobs in my next hobby post!