A day off last Friday meant that I had some real time at the painting-table and so was able to churn out a few models this week. I decided to concentrate on standard line infantry, as I wanted to try and clear them off of the list ready to tackle the more ‘fun’ models.
I started by cracking on with the remaining two Grunts from the USAriadna Army Box. Fatigues were painted in Steel Legion Drab while armour plates were done in Rhinox Hide. I then washed the whole lot in Agrax Earthshade before re-highlighting both with their base colours. I highlighted the armour plates with Mournfang Brown and Steel Legion Drab as a second stage highlight. The fatigues had Ushabti Bone added in select places just to bring them up a bit. For the yellow parts I used Iyanden Darksun washed with Reikland Fleshshade. The weapons were simply painted Abaddon Black and drybrushed with Leadbelcher, and some Knarloc Green added on parts of the casing.
Next up were the two remaining Alguaciles from the Operation Icestorm pack. These guys were painted with P3 Coal Black, washed with Nuln Oil then re-highlighted with Coal Black, Kabalite Green and Sybarite Green. The fatigues were just painted Ushabti Bone and washed with Agrax Earthshade. I then picked out a few spots with Ushabti Bone again for definition. The orange lights were painted Fire Dragon Bright, washed with Agrax Earthshade, then re-highlighted with Fire Dragon Bright and a second stage using a 40/60 mix of Fire Dragon Bright/White Scar.
Finally, I moved on to a second Yu Jing figure, this time a Celestial Guard. I’d already used the Tiger Soldier as a test for the colours, so this was just a translation across to a second figure. As before, Celestra Grey was washed with Vallejo Light Grey Wash (which sadly is turning out to not do quite as good a job as I’d hoped, so I switched to mostly lining/washing the figure with Nuln Oil) before re-highlighting with Celestra Grey. Pure White Scar was then used to highlight the armour. The fatigues were painted with Steel Legion Drab before being washed with Agrax Earthshade. I’m deliberately not highlighting them further as I don’t want them to draw the eye too much from the lighter armour plates. The red parts were painted with Khorne Red which was highlighted with Fire Dragon Bright, while green spots were painted Dark Angels Green, followed by Goblin Green then Bilious Green for a highlight.
Finally on the Infinity side of things for this post, I got around to finishing off some objective markers I bought back in 2014(!) from Customeeple. Because we’re looking to try out the 20/20 Mission System, I needed a way to differentiate some of the crates, so I went with an alternative colour scheme with three of them. I also removed some old 40mm bases from a pair of bins which I’d been using for 40k – these will now fit in nicely with the rest of my terrain on the urban table I have.
And lastly for today’s post, a quick work-in-progress shot of the Turbolaser towers I purchased for my X-Wing games. My X-Wing group are planning to try out the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster co-operative campaign, and so I wanted some pieces to better represent the turrets which are present in some of the missions. It’s also my intention to do some more ground-attack games of it in the future, and so these will come in really useful for that, along with some 6mm buildings of various types to represent ground facilities to be destroyed. I’ll pick these up gradually throughout the year.
I plan to just spray these with Army Painter Uniform Grey spray then give them a wash with Nuln Oil – I want to try and avoid the ‘stone brickwork’ look that the creator has given them, and I don’t want them to stand out too much from the actual ships, none of which have highlights on them either.
That’s all from me this week- hopefully next time I’ll have a Spektr and Bounty Hunter to show off!