Brushwork – Thursday 4th January

Ironskull's Boyz - click to enlarge

In addition to playing a lot more Imperial Assault in the latter half of 2017, I also got into Shadespire – a move which surprised me as I’ve not really looked seriously at any Games Workshop releases in about 3 years. What surprised me even more is that it’s a fantasy setting, which isn’t something that normally grabs my attention. The good news is that I’ve really enjoyed playing the game! It’s also nice to paint something other than sci-fi miniatures.

I went all-in quite quickly, picking up the core set plus the two extra warbands that were released alongside it right off the bat, and I’ve also picked up enough card sleeves and card storage to get the entire first ‘season’ of stuff as it releases over the next few months.

I wanted to use the Orruks straight away – I’ve always had a soft-spot for the greenskins, and GW certainly know how to make good models for them! That’s why they were first on the desk!

Ironskull's Boyz - click to enlarge
Ironskull’s Boyz – click to enlarge

For the Orruks, I wanted to go with a darker colour scheme than the one the studio uses, but still retain the yellow in the scheme (I feel the studio scheme has far too much yellow in it and it looks like they’re wearing looted Space Marine Power Armour). It was pretty simple in the end – I just swapped out the majority of the armour plate colours to black, leaving just shoulder, arm and kneepads in yellow. I also went with a slightly darker yellow.

I used Averland Sunset on the yellow areas, and washed it with Reikland fleshshade. I then added rough patches of Rhinox Hide to the edges of the armour plates. I then added some Leadbelcher to those areas and followed up with light washes of Nuln Oil to dull them down slightly.

The weapons were painted up with Leadbelcher, and some areas were washed with two coats of Nuln Oil and other parts were washed with two coats of Agrax Earthshade. I then highlighted the edges with Leadbelcher, before a quick drybrush with a really old pot of Chainmail that I still have lying around!

For the skin I started with the old foundation paint Knarloc Green, washed it with Biel Tan Green, then highlighted back up with varying mixes of Knarloc Green and Ceramite White.
The skin ended up being a little paler than I had initially planned, although I actually quite like it as it gives a nice contrast to the darker areas. I guess all that time trapped inside Shadespire has left these Orks looking a little pasty!

For the next warband I’m going to work on the Stormcast Eternals – three models which I can really go to town with, hopefully!

I’ll finish up this short post with a few detail shots of the Orruks:

Gurzag Ironskull - click to enlarge
Gurzag Ironskull – click to enlarge
Gurzag Ironskull - click to enlarge
Gurzag Ironskull – click to enlarge
Gurzag Ironskull - click to enlarge
Gurzag Ironskull – click to enlarge
Bonekutta - click to enlarge
Bonekutta – click to enlarge
Bonekutta - click to enlarge
Bonekutta – click to enlarge
Bonekutta - click to enlarge
Bonekutta – click to enlarge
Hakka - click to enlarge
Hakka – click to enlarge
Hakka - click to enlarge
Hakka – click to enlarge
Basha - click to enlarge
Basha – click to enlarge
Basha - click to enlarge
Basha – click to enlarge
Basha - click to enlarge
Basha – click to enlarge
Advertisements

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s