Brushwork – May 26th 2020

Iron Golem warband

Towards the tail end of 2019 I was introduced to Warcry by my friend. I really enjoyed how quickly the game played and how the initiative system worked. Of course, a slew of really cool new models didn’t hurt either!

Fast-forward to early 2020 and my friend makes me an offer I can’t refuse – he’s got a second Warcry starter box minus the rulebook and Chaotic Beasts but including the Cypher Lords – would I be interested in it in exchange for a commission? I think I nearly took his arm off with my enthusiasm!

As I was planning to run some demos for my gaming group, I wanted to get things painted quickly. With that in mind, I decided that I’d want to use techniques that wouldn’t require too much in the way of highlighting.

For the terrain I hunted around the internet to find a suitable scheme that was fairly colourful rather than drab grey – luckily enough I found one that really appealed to me and so I jumped on it and got the whole lot done in a little over a week’s worth of evenings!

The stonework was heavily drybrushed (more of a ‘wet-brush’) first with P3 Coal Black (basically Incubi Darkness), then with Kabalite Green and Sybarite Green, while wooden parts were hand painted with Rhinox Hide and drybrushed with Mournfang Brown. For the sharpened logs I used Karak Stone before washing it with Agrax Earthshade. Metal areas were given a heavy drybrush of Balthazar Gold followed by Leadbelcher. Skeletons and skulls were painted with Pallid Wych Flesh then given a coat of Skeleton Horde contrast paint.

Warcry terrain
Warcry terrain – click to enlarge

For the statue head, I wanted a different coloured stone, so went with Steel Legion Drab (applied fairly sloppily in one coat so that the black undercoat still showed in places to make it appear more natural), drybrushed with Karak Stone.

Warcry terrain
Warcry terrain – click to enlarge

Rather than spam this post with a ton of images, I’ll put some close-up images at the end of the post.

With the terrain all done, I turned my attention to the two warbands that come in the box. For the Iron Golem, I gave the flesh a coat of Rotting Flesh (I’m not sure what the modern equivalent is) and washed it with Agrax Earthshade. The metal on the armour was painted with leadbelcher before being given a coat of Blood Angels Red contrast paint. I then drybrushed these plates with Runefang steel to give them a scratched look. The weapons were painted with Balthazar Gold and drybrushed with Leadbelcher, while the grips were painted with Coal Black and highlighted with Kabalite Green.

Iron Golem warband
Iron Golem warband – click to enlarge

For the Untamed Beasts, I painted their skin with Rakarth Flesh and washed it with Reikland Fleshshade. The fur cloaks were given a coat of Basilicanum Grey contrast paint. For the Rocktusk-Prowler (or ‘lion-thingy’ as I like to call it), I painted it Basilicanum Grey, while the mane etc got a coat of Apothecary White contrast. To make the fur look a bit more ‘natural’ I did a quick drybrush of Mournfang brown over the body. I then added Skeleton Horde to all bone/horn areas, then picked out all the leather detailing with Abaddon Black. I added a few scratches etc with Leadbelcher and they were done!

Untamed Beasts warband
Untamed Beasts warband – click to enlarge

Basing for all of these was done by adding some cork chippings using superglue, then coating the base with PVA and dipping it in my sand/gravel mix (just builder’s sand). I then painted it black, then drybrushed it Rhinox Hide, Mournfang Brown, Steel Legion Drab then finally with Ushabti Bone.

Once these were done I took a bit of a break so the Cypher Lords didn’t get done at the same time. However, I’ve started on one as a test piece using similarly quick techniques as the other two warbands:

Cypher Lord test model
Cypher Lord test model – click to enlarge

Her skin was painted with Steel Legion Drab, washed with Reikland Fleshshade. The purple areas were painted with Naggaroth Night, highlighted up with Xereus Purple then given a quick wash of Naggaroth Night thinned with Lahmian Medium. I then added some highlights with Genestealer Purple. The plume was painted with Meredius Blue from P3, washed with Drakenhof Nightshade and highlighted back up with Meredius Blue and Arcane Blue (also from P3). The gold was painted with Retributor Armour, washed with Agrax Earthshade then highlighted back up with Retributor Armour, Auric Armour Gold then finally some small dots of Runefang Steel. The sword and throwing star were painted with Runefang Steel, washed with Drakenhof Nightshade then re-highlighted with Runefang Steel.

And finally, as promised earlier in the post, here are a few more images of the terrain. This was really fun to paint and adds some nice colour to the table, I think!

Warcry terrain
Warcry terrain – click to enlarge
Warcry terrain
Warcry terrain – click to enlarge
Warcry terrain
Warcry terrain – click to enlarge
Warcry terrain
Warcry terrain – click to enlarge
Warcry terrain
Warcry terrain – click to enlarge

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s