Brushwork – Thursday 18th July

Fire Dragon Exarch - click to enlarge

The recent hot spell (plus a holiday abroad) have slowed my painting somewhat – however, here’s a few things I’ve worked/been working on…

With the release of the new Eldar codex, I’ve gotten a few games in, and while I’ve only won one game (which was admittedly rather close and more due to ridiculous dice than anything else), I’m loving the way that they play, and how they now feel like they can compete with the other codexes in the game (barring perhaps Necrons, although I’d have to play them more to really find out). It’s been nice as it’s spurred me on to actually do something with my Eldar models rather than have them sit around collecting dust which they have done for the last 4 years or so.

I began by magnetising a lot of the heavy weapon options – both my guardian heavy weapons platforms, 3 of my 6 Vypers, and one weapon mount on each of my 3 War Walkers (I’ve left a Scatter Laser in place on each War Walker as I figure I’ll always add that alongside another weapon). I’ve not got any images of these yet, although I will for my next post.

I also decided to use a spare Warlock with Singing Spear to be my Spiritseer – GW’s model is okay, although I’m not a huge fan of it, so I figured I’d make my own. I clipped and filed down his faceplate, and added some green stuff to smooth it out. I also clipped away the spear tip, which left the decorative element which serves as a nice head of the staff without being as oversized as the official model:

Converted Spiritseer - click to enlarge
Converted Spiritseer – click to enlarge

Unfortunately the wash I applied to his cloak went a bit gunky and has pooled a bit too much, so I may have to re-paint it slightly as I get closer to completing him.

Other works in progress are my Fire Dragons:

Fire Dragon Exarch - click to enlarge
Fire Dragon Exarch – click to enlarge
Fire Dragon - click to enlarge
Fire Dragon – click to enlarge

Nothing too difficult on those chaps – just Mechrite Red washed with Agrax Earthshade, before a highlight of Blood Red (which you can see on the Fire Dragon, but not on the Exarch yet). The helmets are simply Iyanden Darksun washed with Gryphonne Sepia.

Also, while delving through my bits box for heavy weapons to magnetise, I happened upon enough bits to build an Autarch on foot – I may never actually use him, but he still looks pretty neat, and could serve as a Dire Avenger Exarch if need be:

Converted Autarch - click to enlarge
Converted Autarch – click to enlarge

Part of the Eldar army I was always keen on were the Wraithguard – I was lucky enough a few years back to be offered 6 metal models at a reasonable price, so I snapped them up. They were already on 40mm bases, which was good as I felt that was more fitting for their size (it’s nice to know the original owner and I were on the same wavelength as GW given the newly released plastic versions are now on 40mm’s as well). He’s painted Blood Red, washed with Ogryn Flesh, then a highlight of Blazing Orange. I may add a second highlight stage, but I’ll see how I feel when I complete the white areas:

Classic metal Wraithguard - click to enlarge
Classic metal Wraithguard – click to enlarge

I’ve also been playing a lot of Infinity, and it’s a nice break from 40k as the games can be a lot faster. I do love being able to spend a bit more time per model in terms of painting them too. For a while it’s been bugging me that something was ‘missing’ from my PanOceania models – after a bit of thought I came to the conclusion that it was their weapons, which were simply painted black, so I thought I’d revisit these while I was painting up my latest models, which consisted of two Bagh-Maris, a Spec Ops model (who is a useful stand-in for many units), plus an Aquila Guard:

Indigo Spec Ops - click to enlarge
Indigo Spec Ops – click to enlarge
Indigo Spec Ops - click to enlarge
Indigo Spec Ops – click to enlarge
Bagh-Mari with Combi-rifle - click to enlarge
Bagh-Mari with Combi-rifle – click to enlarge
Bagh-Mari with Combi-rifle - click to enlarge
Bagh-Mari with Combi-rifle – click to enlarge
Bagh-Mari with HMG - click to enlarge
Bagh-Mari with HMG – click to enlarge
Bagh-Mari with HMG - click to enlarge
Bagh-Mari with HMG – click to enlarge
Aquila Guard with Multi-rifle - click to enlarge
Aquila Guard with Multi-rifle – click to enlarge
Aquila Guard with Multi-rifle - click to enlarge
Aquila Guard with Multi-rifle – click to enlarge

I also snapped a few shots of the others with their new weapon casings, plus a group shot:

Akal Commando with Combi-rifle - click to enlarge
Akal Commando with Combi-rifle – click to enlarge
Akal Commando with HMG - click to enlarge
Akal Commando with HMG – click to enlarge
Order Sergeant - click to enlarge
Order Sergeant – click to enlarge
Order Sergeant - click to enlarge
Order Sergeant – click to enlarge
Order Sergeant - click to enlarge
Order Sergeant – click to enlarge
My PanO force - click to enlarge
My PanO force – click to enlarge

Finally, there’s a new addition to their ranks – a Swiss Guard with HMG, which I built this evening:

Swiss Guard - click to enlarge
Swiss Guard – click to enlarge

I’ve still got to add green stuff to cover the gap around the edge of the base, then I’ll get her undercoated and painted up with some pics! (Wow… There’s a lot of red in this post! Perhaps I ought to paint something else to show some different colours next time!)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s